According the Content Marketing Institute’s Australian Benchmark’s 2017 Report, 78 per cent of Australian businesses use email marketing. About half of us say it is critical — indeed the most critical — tactic we have for distributing our content. We’re all using email marketing, but what’s considered best practice?
In today’s podcast, James, Nic and Sarah take a deep dive into how to use email marketing.
Here are the key take-outs:
- Email marketing can be extremely effective. People look at their email every day.
- Don’t be a part of the problem. Don’t create spam. Find out what your subscribers want.
- Don’t just ask yourself what you want to achieve with your email marketing; ask your audience what they want to read.
“You do get to a point where you can be doing more harm than good (sending out ineffective email marketing).” — Sarah
- Share the responsibility for writing the email throughout your organisation, to share your expertise and provide real insights and valuable information to your readers.
- Put your personality into your newsletter, as well as your expertise.
“If you’re just going to spam people, it’s a lot easier to just go out and buy AdWords,” — Sarah
- When should you send your email marketing out? It depends. Experiment. See what times and days give you the best result.
- Segment your database. Don’t hit everyone up with every email, especially if they’re not going to find the email relevant or informative.
- Focus on your subject line. Don’t use generic ones. Try to be eye-catching.
“Email is so important, but it’s not the only part (of marketing) — it should be one of many parts.” — Nic
Here are the links you might need
- Here’s what the latest Australia CMI Trends report.
- And this is where you’ll find Graham Jones, the internet psychologist James mentioned.
Have you heard the one about…
Last week James, Sarah and Nic spoke to ADMA’s Jodie Sangster about the CMI Trends report.
And here’s a discussion about the recent #StopFundingHate campaign.
Like what you’ve heard?
Give us a follow on Soundcloud to get the latest episodes.
Or, you can subscribe or leave a review on iTunes.